About Deoriatal Chandrashila Trek
With picturesque lakes, serene villages, green valleys, and tall peaks, the Himalayas never cease to be an attractive destination for trekking. The Deoriatal Chandrashila Trek is an entrancing trail in the Garhwal district undertaken by some passionate mountaineers. The entire trip would take you about 5 days to complete and starts at Haridwar. One can witness everything from the summit of Chandrashila peak standing at 4,000 meters above sea level to lakes at 2,400 meters height.
This trip is also a mix of spirituality and serenity, bound by peaks and pastures. You get to experience the beauty of a dense forest and be enthralled by moss-covered green trails. You will get plenty of opportunities to click pictures as every part of this trip has something exciting to offer.
Deoriatal Chandrashila Trek Itinerary
Here is a good plan for anyone planning to embark on the Deoriatal Chandrashila Trek.
Day 1 – You will arrive at the Haridwar railway station at about 7:00 AM. From Haridwar, you will head towards Sari by car and get a glimpse of the Ganges and Alaknanda rivers. You will also get to soak in the essence of spirituality at Rishikesh, Rudraprayag, and Devprayag. Prior to reaching Kund, witness the enchanting beauty of the Mandakini Valley, after which you will peacefully retreat and rest at a campsite in Sari. Once you reach Kund, it is suggested that you practice hiking just to prepare for the upcoming trek and to get used to the terrain.
Day 2 – After a peaceful rest and some much-needed practice have a filling breakfast at Sari and move ahead to visit the beautiful temple township of Ukhimath. Make sure to take a moment to appreciate the beauty of nature enveloped around you. You will find some beautiful plants and a variety of birds to try your photography skills. You will now make your way to the Deoria Tal lake and this is again time for rest. Make sure to get adequate sleep at this point.
Day 3 – The third day of the Deoriatal Chandrashila Trek can begin with breakfast and a stroll down the ascending trail. Here you would see oaks, pines and the beautiful Rhododendrons which you can capture with its bursting colours on camera. This area is famous for Rhododendrons so be sure to soak the beauty of all of it in. Now, you will head on over to Chopta and revel in the beauty of the snow-covered tops and beautiful landscapes. Have a sumptuous dinner at this point after which you can retire for the day at a cosy campsite.
Day 4 – Kickstart day 4 by climbing down the slopes to reach the Tungnath temple. This area is quite captivating with the mountains standing tall and the sunlight blanketing into various hues of beauty in the backdrop. You could buy refreshments and small snacks at this point after which you will continue the journey and move upwards to the peaks of Nanda Devi, Trishul or Chaukhamba. It is now again time for rest at a base camp in Chopta for the night.
Day 5 – The fifth day marks the end of the Deoriatal Chandrashila Trek, so make sure to get a memorable rafting experience at the Alaknanda River. If you feel really tired, you can even choose to simply retreat at a base camp and just admire the nature around you clicking memories. Finally, head back to Haridwar and that marks the end of your journey.
Important Facts of Deoriatal Chandrashila Trek
Nearest Railway station – Haridwar
Total Trail Distance – 30 km
Highest Altitude – 12,083 ft
Weather – Pretty cold ranging from 8°C to 15°C in the day to -5°C or less at night
Nearest Airport – Dehradun
Base Camp – Sari
Activities to perform at Deoriatal Chandrashila Trek
How to get here?
Air – The nearest airport is Dehradun. Haridwar is about 54 km from Dehradun. You can board a train or take a car from Dehradun to Haridwar.
Rail – There are trains to Haridwar from most Indian cities.
Road – You can hire cars or local jeeps during the trip between lodges and trekking points.
Things to Carry on Deoriatal Chandrashila Trek
- Electoral sachets or energy drinks along with plenty of water to stay hydrated. The body gets dehydrated quickly at lower temperatures so it is a must to keep sipping water.
- Trekking sticks for support and in case of emergencies.
- Waterproof trekking shoes are a must-have for this Deoriatal Chandrashila Trek. It is far more important than any other trekking gear to ensure safety. Make sure you are comfortable in your shoes before starting the trek.
- A lightly packed backpack with all your essential supplies. Be organized while trekking as this can prove to be a lifesaver in tough terrains.
- Mosquito repellents are an absolute must these days with dengue and malaria constantly making its rounds.
- Good winter clothing like thermals fleece clothes, waterproof vests, rain-proof jackets, ponchos, and thick woollen socks.
- Hand sanitizers can prove to be helpful in getting rid of germs that we come in contact with especially while looking for support in these hilly terrains.
- Sunscreen, lip balm, and moisturizer with high SPF. The sun is extra harsh in hilly terrains and we do not notice it because of the cold, but it can cause severe damage.
- First aid kits and essential medicines.
- Flasks or insulated water bottles.
- Always keep a map of the trek route handy. Although we have phones, they could run out of battery or have no signal in some places; it is best to carry a physical map in these cases.
- Flashlights and torches prove to be vital especially if gets dark outside.
- Light munchable and snacks. Since we lose energy very quickly while hiking, carry a good supply of energy bars on your trip.
- Carry an umbrella if you can as these regions are prone to rainfall and it’s better to be prepared in case of a sudden pour.
- A swiss army knife is an extremely handy tool that will be of help in many unforeseen situations.
- Another thing to consider carrying is a power bank to ensure your phone doesn’t run out of charge.
- An optional but highly recommended item is your camera to capture all your precious memories.