Dudhsagar Trek is one of the most popular places currently in India. Dudhsagar waterfalls are located 60 km from Panaji in the forest between Karnataka and Goa. It has four levels, and there are different ways to reach each level.
Dudhsagar waterfall is the highest in India; it has a height of 310 meters. The Mandovi River falls through the mountains and forms these spectacular waterfalls. Its name means a sea of milk because they look like gallons of milk falling from the mountain.
These waterfalls are located in the Bhagwan Mahaveer Shrine and Mollen National Park in the Western Ghats. For the Bollywood movie Chennai Express they have become more popular, and every day more tourists are going to the place.
You can go any month of the year, but the date on which these waterfalls have more tourists is in the monsoon season, which corresponds to the months between July and September.
How can you get to Dudhsagar waterfalls?
Getting to Dudhsagar is not very easy; you must plan your trip very well; you have several ways to be able to leave the waterfalls; the most common are the following:
- You can take a train to reach the Dudhsagar waterfalls.
- You have the option of taking a bus or a car.
- You can arrive walking.
- There is also an option that you can reach Dudhsagar waterfalls in a jeep safari.
Walk to reach the waterfalls of Dudhsagar
As you can see, there are several options for you to reach Dudhsagar Trek de Goa waterfalls, but the most popular is the walking tour. Trekking is an adventure that many people want to do to get to the place. Many people from both India and the rest of the world choose this option to visit Dudhsagar waterfalls.
If you choose trekking, you must have the appropriate physical condition. Also, you must wear appropriate clothing and shoes so you can do the hike quietly and inconveniently.
It is a very interesting hike, and you will be amazed by the beauty of the landscape while crossing tunnels that make the road different and unique. You will have many things to do in this tourist place. On this route to get to the waterfalls, you must be very aware when the trains approach and be very attentive to the sound.
From Goa, your walk to the Dudhsagar waterfalls begins by walking on the train tracks from Kulem. It will be a distance of 11 km. If you choose to start from Karnataka you will walk the train tracks, from the city Castle Rock is a distance of approximately 14 km and it will take about 5 hours.
But due to accidents and mishaps that have occurred in recent years, walking on train tracks is currently prohibited.
This is a very controversial fear since this measure has caused a lot of distorted and contradictory comments, as many visitors have managed to walk along the train tracks and the railway police have returned other tourists.
You can also be able to make the excursion to Dudhsagar waterfalls from Bangalore
Reach Dudhsagar waterfalls by train
You can arrive through the railways and take a train in any of the main cities of India such as New Delhi, Chennai, Madgaon, Pune, Bhubaneswar, Howrah, since the Kulem train station is connected with all these cities. Just keep in mind to take a train that arrives early in Kulem.
If you are in Goa you have the option of taking the Basque – Kulem train; this train passes daily, it also has the VSG Howrah express train.
If you want to visit the Dudhsagar waterfalls from Bangalore you need to take the train that goes to Castle Rock and then to Kulem; then you can take a jeep safari.
It is not very common to find trains that make the route Bangalore to Dudhsagar directly. You should keep in mind that the trains that leave directly from Bangalore to Castle Rock do not leave daily, which is: Yesvantpur Vasco da Gama Express and The Velankanni Vasco da Gama Express.
You can find trains from Bangalore to the town of Londa Junction and from there take a train that connects Londa to the Castle Rock city. The distance between Londa to the city of Castle Rock is approximately 30 km.
Arrive by bus or car
To get to Dudhsagar waterfalls, you also have the option of travelling by bus from Panaji or Madgaon to Kulem. This is a good choice if you don’t want to walk. They will leave you a few meters away from the waterfalls since reaching Dudhsagar Trek waterfalls directly by bus or car is not accessible by road.
The Kulem parking lot on foot is located 2 minutes from the Kulem train station. The distance from Baga to Kulem is approximately 80 km. From Madgaon to Kulem, the distance is 45 km.
Driving the distance from Bangalore to Kulem is 539 km. When you leave Highway 48, you must drive to Mollem. If you wish to drive from Pune or Mumbai, you can also take Highway 48 until you reach Belgaum, then you must exit the highway and drive to Mollem via the Khanapur road.
Reach the Dudhsagar waterfalls by jeep
You can reach the wonderful Dudhsagar waterfalls in a jeep safari; you can take it in Kulem. These jeeps can take you for a distance of 8 to 9 km, leaving you a few meters from the waterfall.
In this jeep safari fit seven people, you should keep in mind that this option is closed in the monsoon season, which is from June to September. You can take this safari again in October; everything will depend on the rains in the place.
If you choose this route to get to the waterfalls you must first reach Kulem; the journey takes about 2 hours, it is about 80 km from Baga or Calangute to Kulem. It is a very wooded route through the towns of Goa.
As you can see, you have many options and routes so you can reach the Dudhsagar Trek waterfalls. You can take the path and route you like best, depending on your taste. The important thing is that you arrive and visit this wonderful place, considered the most beautiful waterfall in India.
Tips you should keep in mind to visit the Dudhsagar Trek waterfalls in Goa
No matter the route you take, it is always recommended that you wear the right clothes so that you are comfortable and calm. You must bring your camera to take the best photos of the place.
If you choose to do the trek, you should wear special shoes for trekking, in this way you will avoid pain in your legs and feet. If you want to take a swim in the pool, you must wear appropriate clothes and a swimsuit. You must bring medication to any problem and have plenty of water to stay hydrated.
You must keep the place clean and not throw trash anywhere in the route, but in the indicated places.
You must wear raincoats in case it rains on the road; you can cover yourself and continue with the adventure. It is recommended that you bring snacks or food ready so you can eat something while you travel. This is very important to prevent fatigue on the road.
Do not leave your trekking equipment, so you do not get lost; you must be aware of what your guide says so that you have the necessary security.
Things to take to visit Dudhsugar waterfalls
The things you must take depend on the option or route you choose to arrive.
- You must carry a backpack or bag that is comfortable to carry, and that is resistant to the weight you will carry during the walk. Depending on the time of the year you choose to go, you must carry a raincoat or a plastic bag so you can keep your personal belongings dry.
- As already mentioned above, you must carry at least 2 litres of water so that you can be hydrated during the tour. And, if you tour is between 5 to 7 days, then how much water should you drink a day? So, simply try this water hydration calculator to get ideal water recommendations according to the environmental conditions.
- It is recommended that you bring extra clothes and a towel.
- You must wear caps to cover yourself from the sun; if it is for walks, it is advisable to wear a long and light sleeve shirt. Thermal clothing is ideal for these cases. You should also wear sunscreen.
- Carry an extra plastic bag so you can put wet clothes.
- Must have special hiking shoes
- You must carry a sleeping bag, a blanket; you should keep in mind that the bedding you carry is not heavy or very large.
- It is recommended that you carry a flashlight and also carry extra batteries.
- It is not recommended to use cell phones as flashlights as they could be used if an emergency arises. For this reason, you should save your cell phone battery.
- Bring prepared food, plates, a glass or cup and cutlery.
- If you want to do the excursion you must carry a kit of medicines in case you have any mishaps; you must take medicines for pain, allergy, insect repellents, and any other medicine that you take by medical prescription, you must carry bandages, alcohol to clean wounds, etc.
As you can see this visit to the waterfalls of Dudhsagar Trek de Goa is an experience that you should do even once in a lifetime. You will not regret it.
It is a unique and fascinating experience; the view you will have along the route is fabulous. Walking 5 hours is something worthwhile, and in the end, you will have a good reward when you arrive at the waterfall and see that fabulous sea of milk in the mountains. No matter which route you choose the view and the route is equally fascinating.